ABOUT OUR CHURCH
Mary Baker Eddy, the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science, established The Church of Christ, Scientist. This consists of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston, Massachusetts, and all of its branches throughout the world. We are one of those branches, and have been part of the religious life of Geneva for over 100 years.
Sunday Lesson-Sermon Topics
There are 26 weekly topics for the Bible Lesson-Sermon. Each is repeated twice a year. There is also a Thanksgiving lesson.
First Church of Christ, Scientist, Geneva, Illinois was incorporated February 1, 1897 by a group of Christian Scientists who had been holding church services in private homes and rental halls in the area since 1894.
In September 1910, land and a barn on Second Street were purchased from the Burton family for $1,000. Rather than tear down the barn, these early members obtained the services of architect Solon S. Beman, designer of Chicago’s Pullman community, to transform it into a house of worship. They took pleasure in knowing that Christ Jesus was born in a stable and their church, literally, had been a stable.
The church’s cornerstone was laid May 20, 1916 and the remodeled edifice opened for services in November 1917. Expansive variegated stained glass windows on the north and south sides of the auditorium reach almost to the structure’s unique arched ceiling and fill it with light.
An addition, designed by Albert H. Nemoede, was completed in November 1951. It enlarged the auditorium and added the portico, steeple, and foyer. In 1976, a five-rank Moeller pipe organ was installed that is an integral part of today’s services.
Church members and the community joined in celebrating the church’s 100th year of providing spiritual support at 111 S. Second Street in October 2016.
Land and a barn purchased for $1,000. Plans begin to transform barn into a house of worship.
Cornerstone laid in 1916 and the remodeled edifice opened for services in 1917.
The modern church celebrating 100 years of continuous service at 111 S. Second Street!